Sunday, January 8, 2012

120 days


This was taken 6 years ago, on a camping trip in the Petén jungle.
We had just (barely) survived a major hurricane at home, and a change in scene was much needed.


We swam with crocodiles (well, the crocs swam at night and we stuck to daytime swimming)
, saw lots of monkeys, and climbed to the tops of Mayan temples.

This was a couple of years before I would enroll him in the school he would attend for k-2. The first year, he spent 3 hours a day at school, then it was 6.5 hours a day. If I add it all up, and divide by 24, he spent 120 days there. 120 days away from us.

I try hard to not regret. It's a terrible feeling to have. I try to look upon even my most terrible decisions and appreciate the lessons that came with them. But I do regret having missed out on so much during those years of my son's life. It's the one thing that makes me wish I could turn back the hands of time. So if I could go back and change one thing, I would have kept him home, even if it meant that we could only do one hour of homeschooling a day, or unschooling all day. Or whatever, as long as we were together. And everyday, since we started school at home, I have been thankful that not one day more went by.

No comments:

Post a Comment