Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hominids and Giant Peach

This week we learned that Homo habilis started making and using tools 2 million years ago, and that Homo erectus discovered fire control somewhere between 125,000 and 400,000 years ago.
We found this nifty little pbs site. If you visit, try the interactive quiz (select the Launch Interactive button) and see if you can guess what each tool was used for.

Then Lu copied the tools from the screen into one of his History notebooks. We have two notebooks for this class - one with lines for writing, and this one for drawing and timelines.



Lu's almost done with James and the Giant Peach. My chapter-book reading list for this year is going to need some additions, as I hadn't anticipated such speedy reading. He's read Gulliver's Travels, Tom Sawyer, and now J&theGP in 2.5 months, when (according to my yearly plan) these books should have lasted us through May. I'm not complaining, but I am short a few books.

I'm thinking of possibly adding The Little Prince and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Any other suggestions?

Here are some videos we watched this week:

Shadowland Flower by Pilobolus. I saw them live 16 years ago!




and this amazing choreography by Kagemu
Lu LOVED this.

No comments:

Post a Comment