Monday, April 30, 2012

Back to Work

We are back to work after our two-week break.

8am this morning we were ready to go. 

We started the morning singing several songs from our repertoire - 
La Bamba Los Lobos version, 
La Bamba Lila Downs version, 
Lean on Me, Imagine, and War

We worked on our MEP math - fortunately an easy worksheet today. The more difficult worksheets can take us up to an hour, but today's was easy-breezy.

Then we learned about The Plant Kingdom with Mr. Q Science.
non-vascular and vascular plants, flowering and non-flowering plants, different forms of plant reproduction...

After Science it was time for break - 10:15 to 10:45.

Our second math class followed - frequency tables, bar graphs, and line graphs with this math resource.

To finish our morning - writing sentences with the new vocabulary words: neglected, bluffing, and desperate.


After lunch we started our next World History unit - The Rise of Civilization. We read about the specialization of labor and the development of trade routes.


My mom is visiting and brought with her a collection of the Little House books. I really wanted Lu to read The Little Prince, but Lu didn't get into it. It's the first time ever that he doesn't like a chapter book. He hasn't been picky at all with his reading - which might mean that I do a good job of providing interesting options, or that he's simply easy to please.

The collection was given to me when I was a child, but I don't think I ever even read the first one. I'm glad someone is going to read them! And Lu is loving Little House in the Big Woods so far. 

I timed Lu's reading today. He read 15 pages of approx. 160 words per page  in 35 minutes. I have no idea how that compares to how much or how fast other kids read, but I ran into a homeschool blog the other day where this 6 year old girl was reading Magic Tree House books in one sitting. It got me wondering - is Lu an especially slow reader, or is this little girl just freakishly speedy? Have you ever timed your kids' reading?

1 comment:

  1. Based on the kids I have tutored that are Lu's age, his reading speed sounds appropriate as long as his comprehension is good, and his vocabulary is growing as well. My entire reading life, my speed has varied widely. Partially, it depends obviously on how challenging the material is. But, sometimes I end up reading something really fast because I am enjoying it, and then get upset because that means the book is finished too fast when I want to linger over it! LOL! :)

    Btw, I should have a post with reading suggestions up by the end of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete