Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Triangles, Translations, a Stool, and a Floor Plan

We continue working with triangles, and we're really starting to get into the thick of 5th grade geometry. This stuff is no joke. It's got me on my knees. I've been having to do some homework on my own time, so that Lu doesn't catch on to how clueless I am. lol. No, actually, he already knows.


Between Khan Academy videos and 5-minute tutorials from my husband, in a rush after lunch, when we weren't able to find the solution to a problem, we manage to "get" the math.



Lu's been translating for a photography workshop. The teacher doesn't speak much Spanish, so he translates for her, while learning about photography himself. I'll post some of his photos soon.



In History, he's been making a glossary of famous Ancient Greeks.



He's spent hours in the tool shed, building a little wooden stool for a friend who is celebrating his second birthday.







It's not even finished yet, 
and kitty is trying to claim it for himself with his 
"Don't touch my stool, fool" face on.





 Back to geometry (which has been taking A LOT of our time lately)...

I was terrible at math (as I've mentioned about a million times here), and nothing much stuck after the 4th grade. But I had a special experience with geometry when I was 25 and building my first house - specifically, doing floor plans. It was a very simple house, that only cost $5,000 to build, but it still required some design and know-how. As I worked through it, it all started making sense, and the little geometry I know, I owe to that house.

So, it occurred to me today,
just as I was REALLY needing a coffee break and some ME-time...

What better than to have Lu make a floor plan of his bedroom to appreciate geometry in a more practical way?








He did a great job! And I got a lovely hour ALL to myself.


1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo!! Way to put that boy to work! LOL!
    Seriously - great job Lu!

    ReplyDelete