Thursday, January 3, 2013

5th Grade, Here We Come!

After a few lovely holiday weeks,


and some end-of-year wildness,


 we are back to school!


Here's Lu's first-day-of-school pic -


We started the morning at 8am with some singing,
and then a read-aloud in Spanish.

We're reading all about wizards!


After reading, Lu wrote a few sentences about Merlin.

 Then we did our math.
We will continue to work with MEP this year.

By the time we were done, it was 10:15.
And then a break until 11:00.

We read the introduction to this book 
that we are using for religions of the world.


And then, we got onto some physics with Eureka!

 
After watching the video, 
Lu drew some pictures in his notebook,
and wrote down some notes on what he learned 
in the first video - Inertia.



After lunch, we sat down to some history.
We're starting with Ancient Greece,
a unit that will probably see us through this month.
 


 At 3pm we were done with history,
and we moved on to a spelling list, and then some
Khan math practice, which was all done by 4:00.

All in all, it was an awesome day that we both enjoyed.

It pretty much worked out to be:
two hours - break - two hours - break - two hours,
and this seems to work well for us.

I'll try to get our materials together to share them in one post, like I did last year. I'm not quite there yet... I'm definitely not as organized as I was last year. But I take this as a good sign. I trust myself and my son more now, in that we know what we're doing, and we'll get a lot done, and Lu will learn so much more than whatever I could possibly plan. 

This is the beginning of our third year homeschooling. 
It's going to be a good one!
(knock on wood)

3 comments:

  1. WOOO HOO! Happy New Year and new homeschooling year to you! Hope this is the best yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new year! The pictures from your last post were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I have a 5th grade science text all on CD and in Spanish if you would be interested? I would send it for free for all you two share with us. It has never been use. Reach me by e-mail canoepatch@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete